Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Coldplay

Let me just get one thing clear. I am not the biggest Coldplay fan.
Yes, they have some catchy songs, and occasionally some really heart-wrenching stuff like 'Fix You'. But for the most part, I only know their singles, and not every song like other die-hard fans (@rahmadutton). 
I like Coldplay. I love concerts. All my friends were going and they seemed PRETTY excited, so heck, why not go? I always enjoy myself when others around me are enjoying themselves, so I decided to get a Golden Circle ticket and join them.

So. Knowing this, you must understand that I really was not expecting much from Coldplay. I knew it would be a good time, and that's all I expected.

PHOAR.
It. Was. SPECTACULAR.

The LIGHTS. The SMOKE MACHINE. The CONFETTI. The BEACH BALLS.
THE 55 000 people CROWD, chanting along to EVERY SINGLE LINE of EVERY SINGLE SONG.
These fans knew everything, even songs Chris Martin himself said we probably wouldn't know because it was never released in South Africa. Ha! They belted out and cried along to all of his music, and I happily partied alongside them.

I'm easily bored, but like a child I am also easily entertained.
Chris is a fantastic front-man when it comes to keeping the crowd entertained. At the beginning of 'The Scientist', Chris changed the lyrics from "come up to meet you" to "come up to Cape Town" which really got the crowd cheering. He flung himself all over that stage, collapsing everywhere, jumping up and down, and even running along the stage with a  South African flag to 'Every Tear Drop Is A Waterfall'.

He got the crowd to do a Mexican phone wave, something I've never even heard of, which is basically a darkened stadium that is slowly lit up by thousands of tiny little cellphone lights in the manner of a Mexican wave.
A photo my friend took of the Mexican phone wave.
Doesn't do it justice.
That was really something amazing to see, and I can honestly say that, barring seeing Coldplay perform again, I doubt I'll ever get the opportunity to witness that again.

Below is a Youtube video which shows the Mexican Phone Wave. I would have taken a video if I weren't too busy standing there, mouth open in amazement.



I was in awe of how captivating this show was. And being there, just a few feet away from a laughing & dancing Chris Martin, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed myself! 
The band themselves looked like they did not want to leave at the end of the show.
Right from the very start the energy of the crowd & the band was just pumping, with almost no down-time throughout the show.
It was easy to see why they were voted best band in the world to see live. They really know how to please & entertain a crowd. 
Money. Well. Spent. That memory will last a lifetime.
I'm SO glad I got to experience that. It really is a show that everyone should see because it's definitely not something that comes around often.

@little_zay

@rahmadutton




Whilst we were waiting for the opening band to come on, the speakers played Jay Z's '99 problems'.
Surprisingly, the crowd LOVED it.




The Parlotones
The Parlotones were unfortunately out of their element. It's not to say they were bad, but they're just not exactly loved here in Cape Town unfortunately. A band like Goldfish would have been more suited because
a) the crowd loves them, and b) they would have energized us way more.
Joel & Benji Madden's Parlotones look-a-like
Lamest job ever.
Imagine 55 000 people chanting in unison
Sm-sm-smoke machine






Running / cycling man
I caught a ball and took it home! (No, those are not my hands, I'm just saying!)

Yellow
It rained M's X's










If You Love Me Won't You Let Me Know

PACKED.








Ladies & gentlemen: Coldplay


Every Tear Drop Is A Waterfall






Thank God for Lightroom Photoshop for basically making my photo's decent-looking. Organizers really need to get over this whole "no professional cameras allowed". It's a buzz killer.

Below is a short video which kind of shows you just how fantastic the atmosphere was, and how enthralled the audience was with Coldplay:


Oh, and apparently there were  fire works too!
We were right in front so we were completely oblivious to them, which completely boggles my mind when I see this video of the display:


Nevertheless it has definitely gone down in my history books as being one of the most amazing concerts of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment