Friday, January 3, 2014

Salaaaams from Dubai!

It's officially 2014!
Happy New Year errbody.

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while, but it's just been crazy busy this side of the world. I have some photo's for you if you care to check them out, but I'll stagger the posts just to make it easier to read, starting out with Dubai.

When we first arrived to Dubai, we were given an introduction to the life here. Because the UAE is governed by Islam, they wanted to teach us about how to respect the laws here in order to "adapt" to the ways of living.
We were taken on a tour to see Jumeirah Mosque and given a little history on Islam.
(Lol, cute.)
It was the sort of information every Cape Townian already knows about, but based on the questions the girls asked, it was actually surprising to me to realize how little exposure many parts of the world has with Muslims, so I'm glad this is helped to broaden their horizons a bit, even if it was just common information like "Yes, for one month a year all Muslims don't eat from sunrise to sunset".

*Side note: One Friday I went to a local mosque in my area for the Jumuah salaah and passed by some of the girls. They were so surprised to see me in an Abaya and scarf that they actually stopped in their tracks and asked me why I was "dressed like a local". Lol. Gotta love 'em.*


Until we meet again , Cape Town.
My Caiwan looking so Mashallah!
Teaching Monica how to tie her doek.
Even Jocelyn (who's from JHB) was falling asleep in that presentation cos she also already knows all that we were taught.
Welcome to Terminal 3.

My fellow Saffa friend, Tanith, and I were desperate for something that reminded us of home, so we went on a mission to find (the over-priced but so worth it) Nando's in Dubai Mall.
*Side note: Did you know that most people have no idea that Nando's comes from South Africa? They all think it's from Portugal or something. Oddly enough, Portugal doesn't even have a Nando's!*

R210 for this. YEAH, NA.
National UAE Day was just around the corner, and the whole country was prepping for the celebrations.
A common site.
This is the same Caiwan as before. The woman is like a chameleon, I swear!
2014 has started out fantastically. We've finally finished with training and are now all qualified to fly, so we're all super busy flying to our various locations all over the world.
How many people are lucky enough to say that?

Gotta love this job :)

3 comments:

  1. Amazing that you're giving us a peek of your exciting journey. Keen to see your upcoming posts :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the look into your new world O i see that building of your training academy on DSTV showing how you guys train

    ReplyDelete